SURREY, B.C. – One of the suspects in a Canadian bomb plot is a former drug user with a history of violence, a self-styled “Muslim Punk” who also wrote songs about his love for Satan.
Descriptions of John Nuttall by four people who knew him, combined with court records and his own postings online, portray a sometimes troubled man on the margins of society.
Police have charged Nuttall and companion Amanda Korody with trying to set off three home-made pressure cooker bombs in a crowd celebrating the July 1 Canada Day holiday in Victoria, the capital of the Pacific province of British Columbia.
Police said the pair drew inspiration from al Qaeda and described them as self-radicalized. Officials told reporters on Tuesday the authorities had always been in control of the situation and had made sure the devices could not explode.
Police did not give more details and would not say whether they had infiltrated the cell.
Tom Morino, the couple’s lawyer, told Reuters he had spoken to both clients on Monday. He said he had known Nuttall for 10 years and always found him to be “a pleasant, polite, thoughtful, generous individual”, albeit one with problems.
“(He had) some emotional issues, some addiction issues … It is on the public record he had an addiction to illicit drugs for a while and struggled with that,” Morino said.
Nuttall, born in 1974, and Korody, born in 1983, will remain in jail until their next court hearing on July 9. Morino said the two were in a relationship.
In March 2003, the Victoria Times Colonist newspaper said Nuttall had been given a conditional 18-month jail sentence in 2003 for hitting a businessman on the head with a rock in May 2002 and stealing his briefcase. Morino told the court his client had been high on cocaine at the time, the paper said.imagesCAYSFYP4British Columbia court records posted online show only that Nuttall was convicted of robbery in relation to an offence committed in May 2002. They also show convictions for mischief and assault after an incident in 2001.
More recently, Nuttall was convicted twice for offences committed in 2009, one for assault and one for possessing a weapon for a dangerous purpose.
Morino, who the paper said had acted for Nuttall in 2003, declined to confirm details about any of the cases.
At the time of their arrest, Nuttall and Korody were living in a dirty basement apartment in the town of Surrey, some 31 km southeast of Vancouver.
When Reuters saw the apartment on Wednesday after a police search, there were five empty prescription bottles labeled methadone in the kitchen. All were in Korody’s name.
Garbage bags stuffed with dirty clothes lay in one room. Pinned to a notice board was a leaflet about a 2011 conference to celebrate the birth and life of the Prophet Mohammad as well as an advertisement from a Vancouver store that sells surplus military clothing and equipment.
Landlord Ramesh Thaman said the couple had moved in three years previously and “looked like nice people”, albeit somewhat messy ones.
“I was totally shocked,” he told Reuters, speaking of the arrests.
Neighbor Charlene Thompson said she had called police earlier this year after hearing Nuttall having a loud conversation outside on his mobile phone.
“He was … talking about jihad and all sorts of things,” she told the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.
In online postings, Nuttall identified himself as Johnny Blade, “a Muslim Punk from Victoria” who belonged to a band called No World Order which had moved to Vancouver.
“We are new to vancouver (sic) and looking to meet anyone else into Allah and hardcore punk,” he wrote in August 2011.
On his website, Nuttall posted four poorly-recorded solo songs with titles like “The End Of The World” and “In League With Satan”. An extract of lyrics from the latter song read:

fantasy24“We are possesed (sic) by all that is evil/The death of your god we demand/We spit at the virgin you worship/And sit at Lord Satans (sic) Left Hand”.
Nuttall also played for a month with the British Columbia-based hard rock band Lust Boys in 2009, lead singer Tommy Thrust told Reuters.
“I’ve never known him to even believe in religion. As far as I knew he was an atheist,” he said, describing Nuttall as stubborn and opinionated. “He briefly spoke about politics here and there but he wasn’t really that well-educated.”
Thrust said Nuttall had left the band on good terms and said members would see him in Vancouver occasionally.
“He didn’t really say a lot when we saw him because he was always drunk. He just wanted to party, basically,” he said.
The Lust Boys issued a statement on Wednesday disassociating themselves from their former band mate.
“The actions played out by John Nuttall were one of an individuals (sic) radical thinking and poor decision making and should have no reflection on the LUST BOYS as a whole,” it said.

egis Labeaume, Peter stastny, Michel Goulet, Marc Tardif.With former Nordiques Peter Stastny, Michel Goulet and Marc Tardif looking on, Quebec City mayor Regis Labeaume, left, speaks to fans at the ground breaking ceremony for the new NHL arena in Quebec City last year. Despite the ruling in Phoenix, Labeaume is still hopeful the NHL has plans for expansion in Quebec. (Jacques Boissinot/Canadian Press)
The mayor of Quebec City says he’s still optimistic about getting an NHL team — even if it won’t be the one currently in Phoenix.
Regis Labeaume sounded a cheerful tone Wednesday despite Glendale, Ariz., having narrowly voted to extend a lease agreement for an arena in a move that will likely keep the Coyotes there.
Quebec has begun building a $400 million arena, with mainly public money, in the hope of bringing back a pro team to replace the old Nordiques.
The initial intention when the arena project began was to bring over the Coyotes. But now there’s speculation that any move to Quebec City would have to occur through expansion.
Labeaume said he’s still “convinced” Quebec City remains part of the NHL’s plans.
(Listen folks, if Gary Bettman had any sense at all, there would be a bunch more teams in Canada, and a bunch less teams in the southern U.S.)
VANCOUVER – Police are reminding residents to not leave open doors or windows unattended, unless they’re looking to attract naked and hungry trespassers.

That’s after an east Vancouver man found a disrobed stranger cooking eggs in his kitchen at suppertime on Monday.
1057885-Royalty-Free-Clip-Art-Illustration-Of-A-Hairy-Nude-Shy-Man-Covering-Himself-Up-With-His-Arms“It’s a humorous story because this guy didn’t get violent or anything, and he was arrested and nothing was taken and nothing was damaged, but it’s a great reminder for everyone,” Vancouver police Const. Brian Montague said. “He even showered before making himself dinner.”
Montague said two roommates were home at the time, but thought the household noises they heard were just the regular sounds of a shared house, until one of the men entered the kitchen to discover the stranger and called police.
The trespasser is a Burnaby, B.C., man of no fixed address who is well-known to police, Montague said, adding that drugs most likely played a role in the break-in. Investigators are recommending a charge of being unlawfully in a dwelling house.
Aside from the naked cooking session, Montague said break-ins showing no signs of forced entry are common. Of the 1,157 residential break-and-enters in Vancouver so far this year, 400 began with suspects simply walking in through an unlocked or open door.

“Ensuring your doors and windows are locked is a simple deterrent,” Montague added. “Don’t make it easy for someone to break into your house.”
The UK team building a car capable of driving beyond 1,000mph (1,610km/h) says the project is taking longer than anticipated to pull together.
The Bloodhound project expects now to roll out its vehicle in 2015, with the aim of breaking the current land speed record in the latter half of that year.
It is a slip of about 12 months on the present schedule.
Driver Andy Green, the only man ever to take a car through the sound barrier, says it is simply more realistic.
“When you look at the timescale that it took to put the Eurofighter together, which by the way at ground level will not go 1,000mph – it took them twice as long with thousands of people and a budget of billions,” the RAF Wg Cdr told BBC News.
“By comparison, we are using the tiniest fraction of that money and a core engineering team of just 34 people.”

Man sues Waterloo cops for alleged theft of nude photos
By QMI Agency
A former Ontario man has filed a lawsuit against the Waterloo Regional Police alleging one of its officers at the time stole nude modelling photos of him and sent digital copies to other officers.
Matthew Waltenberry, who claims he was forced to move to from Kitchener to Radium Hot Springs, B.C., because he was humiliated, is suing the police, a former officer and two other constables for $900,000 in damages. The claim was filed recently by Waltenberry’s lawyer Davin Charney in the Ontario Court of Justice in Kitchener.
The statement of claim says former constable Christopher Knox responded to a 911 call for a suicidal woman at Waltenberry’s home on Feb. 1, 2011. The claim alleges Knox stole nude photographs of Waltenberry during an illegal search of his home. Knox is also accused of sharing the photos with six other Waterloo police officers via BlackBerry Messenger.
Waltenberry said as a result he has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and depression for which he sees a psychiatrist. He also changed his last name to avoid being linked to photos, the claim said. Waltenberry also owned a marketing company in Kitchener-Waterloo, but since the alleged theft he has trouble maintaining a permanent job, the claim said.
In June 2011, two Waterloo police officers told Waltenberry they were aware of the theft of the photos and that they were shared electronically, the court documents say.
A year later, Knox was convicted of voyeurism and breach of public trust. He was given a conditional sentence, and ordered to undergo counselling and do community service.

Knox also admitted in court he stole a dildo from a woman’s home that had been broken into, photographed the sex toy on a sergeant’s cruiser, and sent naked photos of a woman he found on a seized cellphone to his friends. Knox had been on the force for 4 1/2 years before he resigned in September.
Const. Matthew VanderHeide, who saw Knox steal Waltenberry’s photos but failed to report it for three months, pleaded guilty to discreditable conduct last September, while Const. Jeff Vongkhamphou was convicted of obstructing justice for removing evidence from Knox’s locker, the claim said. He received a suspended sentence.
Police said Wednesday they are aware of the lawsuit and refused to comment on the allegations as the case is before the courts. A statement of defence has not yet been filed.
AND FINALLY: the Perspective Research Department thought this was rather appropriate!