Allan:
I’ve dedicated a good portion of my life, and sometimes my own sanity, to fighting against Republican ignorance. And while I’ll describe myself as a liberal, a progressive or even a Democrat deep down, I honestly just use common sense when it comes to determining where I stand on any given issue.
That being said, pretty much everyone who meets me who isn’t aware I’m a liberal always assumes I’m a Republican. And I can kind of see why. I’m:
  • A born and bred Texan
  • Christian
  • Straight
  • White
  • Male
Outside of being wealthy, the Republican party goes out of its way to try to pander to people just like me. I own cowboy-style work boots, listen to country music (I actually like all kinds of music), own a few pieces of camouflage clothing (though I don’t hunt), own a truck, I pray every night and I prefer the quieter country as opposed to the hectic city. Hell, I even have a more than slight country accent.
But make no mistake about it, I’m sure as hell not a Republican.
As far as I’m concerned:
  • I don’t believe the poor and middle class are served best by making rich people richer.
  • I don’t think any American should be forced to abide by laws or rules based on a faith that they don’t follow.
  • I don’t think homosexuals choose to be gay, I believe they’re born that way.
  • I think women should determine what they do with their own bodies.
  • I think the poor should be helped, not vilified.
  • I feel that greed is far more dangerous than laziness.
  • Corporations are the reason why our government is so corrupt in the first place, so it makes no sense to further deregulate them.
  • I believe that health care should be a right for every human being.
  • Guns, while not the sole problem, are part of the problem with gun violence in this country.
  • Education should be just as big of a priority as our national defense.
  • Science and faith are not mutually exclusive, it’s possible to believe in both – because I do.
  • War should be a measure of last resort, not the first option on the table.
  • If a business can’t afford to pay its workers a living wage then they shouldn’t be in business.
  • Demand creates jobs, not tax cuts.
  • The vast majority of the world’s scientists aren’t wrong when they say humans are causing climate change.
  • We should be making it easier for people to vote, not more difficult.
  • Patriotism should be about helping Americans, not waving a flag while vilifying millions of the poorest among us.
  • Getting an education shouldn’t place students into debt for decades.
I believe in all of that and a lot of other things. So as a straight, white Christian male from Texas I might seem like I would be the prototypical right-wing conservative. Except I have a mind of my own and lack the key ingredient on which being a Republican is built – blind, hateful ignorance.
Hit me up on Twitter or Facebook and let me know what makes you a liberal.
- See more at: http://www.forwardprogressives.com/why-should-be-republican-im-not#sthash.bO2N9nxf.dpuf
Allen Clifton is from the Dallas-Fort Worth area and has a degree in Political Science. He is a co-founder of Forward Progressives, and author of the popular Right Off A Cliff column. He is also the founder of the Right Off A Cliff facebook page, on which he routinely voices his opinions and stirs the pot for the Progressive movement. Follow Allen on Twitter as well, @Allen_Clifton. – See more at: http://www.forwardprogressives.com/why-should-be-republican-im-not#sthash.bO2N9nxf.dpuf

Leave a Reply