Apparently the World Figure Skating Championships are being held right here in London, Ontario.

And why, you ask, would a fellow that normally pays attention to the news, especially if it’s right in his back yard, not know about this?

BECAUSE IT’S FIGURE SKATING!

I have to admit that I didn’t pay any attention to it until I drove through the downtown core this afternoon and the first thing I noticed was a bunch of cops standing at attention on every corner in the city centre.

Then it dawned on me that there were a whole lot more people than the normal crowds on the streets, and that a bunch of streets had been blocked off too.

Then a great big Greyhound bus pulled up beside me and it said: “Media Shuttle!”

Finally, around the Labatt Centre they had a virtual tent city  with special events and light shows and clown and acrobats and God knows what else!

After I got home  I mentioned this to “The Mrs. Herself” and she looked at me kind of funny and asked if I was serious.

I answered in the affirmative, and then she wanted to know why I didn’t know about something as important as this, to which I answered

…………………………….. BECAUSE IT’S FIGURE SKATING!

(Seems the CBC is even pre-empting regular programming for three hours a night to cover it. Just like the winter Olympics!)

Gee, if I had know it was going to be this big a deal, I would have paid more attention!