The left-wing is crazy and the right-wing scares the shit out of me!

Allan's Perspective is NOT recommended for the politically correct, or the overly religious. Some people have opinions. Some people have convictions......... What we offer is PERSPECTIVE!




Tuesday 16 October 2018

Name that tune!

Dear Friends: Well folks I started out in radio all those many years ago and I have decided that I'm going to end up in radio as well.

For the past few years your humble reporter has been doing some consulting work for a radio station here in S.W. Ontario called Easy 101 (CKOT Tilsonburg) and it basically serves an area from Hamilton to Sarnia with music primarily from the 60's 70's 80's and 90's, plus traffic and weather for the 400 series highways that wind thru this part of Ontario.

The station had great potential ever since we changed it from beautiful music to songs targeted toward the Boomers and Gen X,  and things were going along swimmingly until a large conglomerate called Rogers Radio came along and bought the station. (CKOT was one of the last independent stations around.)

These guys, who were sitting in Toronto,  had a certain master plan for the stations they bought and before ya could say "Trumplethinskin" (Sorry Donald) they had changed the format from appealing to the 35 to 69 year olds to a much younger crowd of 18 - 39 year olds. (Their logic was not all bad because that's the demographic that advertising agencies target....., but it also meant that they were competing with a bunch of other stations around London and Kitchener/Waterloo that had similar formats....... and they were no longer distinct in their programming!)

Needless to say the outrage and complaining about the format change was almost universal and it got to the point where I was at the doctors office today for a checkup and while talking to a woman there I happened to mention that I worked in radio so she asked me (right out of the blue) if I ever listened to Easy 101, and when I said I used to..... she started on a long rant about how the station used to be so good and now played awful music...... and was just terrible to listen to.

Now since I wanted to calm her down a bit I told her that while I used to do some work for that station I was soon going to Jewell 92 in Brantford to do a weekend show there, and she might find it  more to her musical taste!

This whole conversation reminded me how attached people can get to things and how they don't like it when those things change........., so I hope she finds some solace in her new station.


The way I see it anyway!

No comments: